Oban's Myths & Legends
Myths by Grade 4 students in Miss VanDril's class, Jones Elementary School, Joliet, Illinois
- Why the Chameleon Changes Colour
- How the Rainbow got its Colours
- Why the Moon has Craters
- How the Dragon got its Fire Breath
- How Geckos got Sticky Feet
- Why a Hawk has Clawed Feet
- Why a Cheetah is so Fast
- Why Bats Sleep in the Day
- The Amazing Tall Trees
- Why Jaguars have Spots
- Why Spiders have Eight Legs
- Why Swans are White
- How the Tornado got its Twist
- How the Blue-Tailed Skink got its Blue Tail
- How the Chameleon got its Colors
There once was an animal that had a golden green color called Chameleon. Almost everyone liked him and had always looked up to him.
As I said, everyone liked him except for five animals. Scorpion, Spider, Bat, Snake and Komodo hated him.
They planned to take away his color. Then Komodo had an evil idea. " Let’s put magic dye into his system," said Komodo. Everyone loved his idea.
So the next morning the five devious animals invited Chameleon to a party. When the time came, Chameleon wasn't suspicious at all. He enjoyed himself.
Later, Komodo spiked Chameleon’s drink when Chameleon wasn't looking.
Chameleon drank the foul liquid and his skin changed color: red, blue, purple, and green.
That's why the Chameleon changes color and these five animals are considered bad.